- Paula Maggio, a visiting lecturer with UA’s Women’s Studies Program, has been awarded a short-term fellowship with the New York Public Library (NYPL). The NYPL announced the recipients in the July 14 issue of the New York Review of Books (PDF). This opportunity supports scholars from outside New York who need to use the Library’s unique research and special collections. Maggio, one of 25 recipients, will use this fellowship to work on her book, “Bloomsbury at War: Pacifism and the Bloomsbury Group 1914-1945.”
- Mary Myers, associate professor of criminal justice, was interviewed for a WKSU-FM story on Anthony Sowell, a convicted serial killer. Text and audio are available at http://www.wksu.org/news/story/28966 .
- Daughter of Providence, a book by Julie Drew, UA professor of English, was published by Overlook Press and received a glowing review in the Akron Beacon Journal. The review described the book as a “terrific debut novel.” Drew teaches writing, film and cultural studies at UA.
- Dr. Susan Olson, chair of the Department of Educational Foundations and Leadership (EFL), has been named associate dean for external programs, grants, budgets and personnel in the College of Education. Olson comes to this position after having served seven years as chair of EFL, one year as interim chair of the Department of Sport Science and Wellness Education, and a four-year term as chair of the Department of Curricular and Instructional Studies. She has been a member of the UA faculty for 22 years.
- Beginning August 1, Dr. Evonn Welton will assume the role of Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Student Services in the College of Education. Welton has been with the College of Education since 1996, when she was promoted to the rank of full professor. Her faculty responsibilities have included teaching and research in the area of special education.
- UA alumnae Jo Ellen Frost and Suzi Hrubik have joined Radcom Inc., a Hudson-based consulting firm. Read the Hudson Hub-Times story.
Filed under: UA women, UA Women's Studies, University of Akron, Women's Studies blog | Tagged: Dr. Evonn Welton, Dr. Susan Olson, Jo Ellen Frost, Julie Drew, Paula Maggio, Suzi Hrubik, UA women | 1 Comment »