On June 10, 1963, President John F. Kennedy signed the Equal Pay Act, making it illegal for employers to pay men and women different wages for the same work. Today, April 28, 2009, women still do not have pay equity.
Women in 2009 make 78 cents for every dollar a man earns. And we are are still working to change that.
Today is Equal Pay Day 2009, the day when women’s earnings finally match what men made in 2008.
Take action about the pay gap, which burdens women throughout their lives:
- Find out more about this year’s Pay Equity Day.
- Send an Equal Pay Day e-card.
- Find out what the pay gap is in your state.
- Watch a You Tube video about Equal Pay Day.
- Contact your representatives in Congress to support the Paycheck Fairness Act