Join us for a teach-in event on the women of the Democratic Republic of Congo and the sexual violence that is used against them as a weapon of war in that nation’s civil conflict Friday, Feb. 13, 2009, at 2:30 p.m. in Room 308 of the Student Union at the University of Akron.
Discussion will be led by a panel of experts, including:
- Wendy Lehman, MA in International Peace Studies and activist with Christian Peacemaker team working in the Congo
- Dr. Timothy Scarnecchia, assistant professor of African history, Kent State University
- Dr. Kirk Arden Hoppe, associate professor of African and World History, The University of Illinois at Chicago
- Dr. T.J. Boisseau, associate professor of gender and cultural history, The University of Akron
- Rosa Githiora, MPA in public administration and UA graduate student specializing in gender-based violence in Africa.
Each year The Vagina Monologues donates ten percent of its proceeds to an international cause. This year the the recipent is women of the Congo.
The Vagina Monologues will be performed Feb. 13 and 14 at 7 p.m. in Leigh Hall’s John S. Knight Auditorium. Read more about it.